Thursday, June 12, 2014

View of Storm Darwin Over Ballycotton Bay From Garryvoe


This painting depicts a specific weather event; Storm Darwin, which struck Ireland on 12th February this year.  During the afternoon, the winds whipped up the worst gusts in many years.  Went down to the tide, not to paint it (not that crazy!), but to take a few reference shots.    The sea spray and waves were amazing, the islands are barely sticking up above them.  To make the spray stand out, I darkened the sky, making it look more threatening.  The weak watery sun is shining on the waves from the right hand side.  I used purplish-grey hues on the sea throughout.

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic work man, must have taken a long time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im with Michael on this, amazing work man, must have taken you ages and ages! I bet its huge too. Hopefully ill get a chance to see it when your exhibit is up and running

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it's 24 inches x 18 inches

      Delete
    2. I dont think I have ever worked another over A3, so thats quite big to me!

      Delete